Friday, October 8, 2010

Unit 6, reading notes: computer networks, wireless networks

Prior to reading these pieces, I would say I had had a very, very basic understanding of computer networks and all the details surrounding this topic.  I was not at all aware of the interesting history of LANs and the information behind the development of these networks. 

The typical library network diagram included on the wikipedia page for computer networks, was really easy to understand and visually engaging.  This kind of detailed visual has the potential to get complicated very quickly, but this proved to be very user friendly, in my opinion.  I really appreciate reading the kind of solid overviews that articles (such as the wikipedia entries) provide.  In fact, these kinds of pieces would be good to use in a high school library for an information technology class, as they are very user-friendly and straightforward.  It's refreshing to read because while one may hear all of these terms tossed around in conversation, it is especially helpful to have a good, clear background of what all of these terms mean in relation to one another.  Prior to these articles, I had not heard of the exact term PAN (personal area network).  I knew networks such as this exist what with personal comptuer use so prevalent today, I just didn't have the background with the language/terminology that a person working in the field probably has acquired over time.  Also, I thought the concept of Virtual Private Network was a bit more complicated to understand, so it will be really helpful to listen to the lecture and review the text once again for better comprehension.

Most of all, the short video on common types of networks really helped to clarify the points of confusion and questioning I had regarding networks (i.e. their structure, overall function, relatedness to other networks,, etc.)

So, there are a number of issues surrounding RFID.  Because of potential privacy issues, it sounds like it will either become a successful trial used efficiently in a library system, or it will be discarded. I plan to record my notes on this issue on the discussion board (in the RFID section) for the course.

-Rachel Nard

No comments:

Post a Comment